How to change the root password
Change root password:
There are two kind of things we need to note,
- Known the existing password, need to change the old one to new password.
- Forgotten the existing password, need to change the password.
Known existing password :
- login to the root shell with the existing password
- type “passwd”
- it asks for the new password. just give the new password
- retype the same for verification.
Thats it !…..
Forgotten the root password :
You can log in with single-user mode and create a new root password,
- Reboot your computer
- If you are currently set up to log in to X rather than a console, press [Ctrl]-[X] when prompted. It takes to you to the boot: prompt
- type linux single to enter single-user mode
- Now you can change the password, type ” passwd root “
- re-type the password for verification. your root password will be changed
- type “shutdown -r now” for reboot
Now you can enter the root shell with the new password.